September 10, 2008

help! opinion needed

I just had this blazer tailor-made and I’m thinking of changing up a few things about it.  Here are the details, in case it doesn’t show in the pic:

-double breasted
-one functional button
-patch pockets
-peak lapels
-fabric: black cotton canvas
Back story: this is the picture that caused me to rush to the tailor to have a casual cotton db blazer made.  Photo courtesy of The Sartorialist.

Here’s the dilemma.  I’m feeling that something’s not right with the proportions, and I’m thinking of having it converted to two functional buttons, making it look more like this:

Do you think I should proceed with the edit or am I just being too hypercritical about this?  Any thoughts/opinions will be highly appreciated!

• Mike
    September 10th, 2008 at 10:10 am

Hi! Who made your blazer? Who’s your tailor? Anyway, I think if editing the blazer would make you feel better, then go for it :)

• izzydore
    September 10th, 2008 at 10:35 am

Toppers in Katipunan, replied to your last comment already. :) Do I know you from somewhere?

• StyleSalvage
    September 10th, 2008 at 7:23 pm

I actually prefer it as it currently is. It’s a beautiful jacket.

• CULTURE CREATORS
    September 11th, 2008 at 3:33 pm

I agree with you, I think with 2 functional buttons you will get a better fit.

xCC

• Shay
    September 12th, 2008 at 10:56 pm

the jacket you were initially looking at on the Sart has a very open front and wide lapels, which works with the buttoning whereas the one you had made seems a bit more of a classic fit. It may suit two functionable buttons better, but the real test is how it fits across the chest – if the front gapes or falls at all I’d say add another button hole, if not I’d say leave it as it may become too tight and pull the fabric if another buttonhole is added. Hope this helps!!

• izzydore
    September 13th, 2008 at 11:34 am

Thanks for all your comments, guys! Shay: The front doesn’t gape or fall at all; the jacket has a pretty slim fit all throughout. So youre right, adding another button hole might not help..

I found the perfect solution to my issue on one or two functional buttons. I’ve decided to have another DB jacket made with two functional buttons!! This time it’ll be navy or gray, with gold buttons (in fact, I just bought the buttons today). Watch out for it!