November 10, 2008

Bring Back the Sweater Vest

When I did this post on Wong Kar-Wai’s films and fashion, his 2004 film 2046 came out in the comments as the stylish Wong Kar-Wai film I had neglected to feature.  So exactly a month after that post, I finally got to watch the film today.
The futuristic outfits were a joy to see.  Takuya Kimura’s layered fabric jacket (?) was very Eairth by Melissa Dizon.

And, of course, Faye Wong was future-fierce.

But I still prefer In the Mood for Love, fashion-wise at least.  The creative restraint in the costumes was evident, with Maggie Cheung in the same ultra-high-neck cheongsam done in different fabrics, and Tony Leung in his sharp suits and vintage ties.  This, in turn, translated well into the feeling of uptightness and control of which the characters were enslaved by.

In the Mood for Love.  2046 was actually a sequel to this film.
2046 was more realistic, more relaxed.  One thing I did like, though, was the way Chow Mo-Wan (Tony Leung’s character) wore the gray knit sweater-vest, an article of clothing so connotatively preppy in a caricature kind of way.  He wore it with great ease, sharp and debonair.

Inspired by Chow Mo-Wan, I decided to don a sweater-vest today not unlike his.

Zara fedora, vintage white bowtie, H&M shirt and sweater vest, tailor-made pants, Cartier watch, penny loafers from Don Quijote

November 10th, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Finally! You got the lenght of the trouser right! You look wonderful!

• izzydore
    November 10th, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Thanks, anonymous. It means a lot coming from you!

• erik
    November 10th, 2008 at 4:32 pm

i think 2046 was just the long and boring extended version of ITMFL.

I like your outfit. cool.

word veri: fentio!

• Frederic
    November 11th, 2008 at 7:09 am

Why U can´t?
    I love that vintage looks,like asian-european…

• Giancinephile
    November 11th, 2008 at 1:40 pm

It’s the undying charm of Chow Mo Wan… how I wish Wong would work again with Tony but that doesn’t seem to be happening anytime soon!!!

Plus Takuya Kimura’s futuristic outfits were really something but for something really cohesive it has to be In The Mood…

• Charles Henry
    November 11th, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Love this blog! I just opened FineAndDandyShop.com, an online shop for men’s accessories. I thought it might be of interest to you and your readers. We also have a blog: FineAndDandyShop.blogspot.com.