January 19, 2009
I’ve never done runway reviews before, and so I decided to try my hand at them now. I present to you my hasty recap of the recent Fall 2009 men’s shows, those that matter to me at least.
1. Jil Sander
Raf introduces yet another silhouette for men: curved shoulders, nipped waist, and full hips! It’s like giving men a female form. Edgy and modern, I wonder though if this shape will stick.
Meanwhile, I need this statement peacoat in my life.
2. Burberry Prorsum
Does this make the novacheck pattern relevant again?
(Things I like) Accoutrements for relaxed black tie:
Sweater with bowtie
Fairisle knit cummerbund
Miuccia decides to stud everything!
A tasseled leather headband gives birth to the centurion hippie.
4. Bottega Veneta
Suede desert boots in dusty rose!
Equally as important as what’s being showcased on the runway are what the editors and buyers who are watching the shows are wearing. Here I found the answer to my question: black skinnies still prove de rigueur. Comfortable, flattering, and versatile (all of those subjective though), I think they will be here to stay for a while more.
with white socks and velvet slippers
cuffed, with socks
the perfect balance to crazy volume and layers up top
Forget the pants, how cool is his man-shawl? Michelle, I swear Amish style is slowly creeping into men’s fashion today.
Six things that make me happy (Tagged by Nature Graffiti):
Since this is a style blog and not a personal blog, I’ll keep it fashion-related.
1. Finding that the item I’ve been lusting over has gone on sale. Given the sober taste of majority of Manila’s males, this always happens.
2. When I get something I had made by the tailor’s and find that it’s perfect and meets all my expectations. Most of the time, my tailor-made stuff have to go back once or twice until perfected. Oh the pains of tailoring.
3. When my friend Michelle and I unintentionally come up with near-identical outfits when we go out together.
4. Shopping for others. I love spending money that isn’t mine!
5. Seeing my favorite things get well-worn and develop a patina: watches, bags, belts, etc. You know it’s a quality piece when it gets better with age.
6. And reading comments from you guys, keep them coming!!