April 22, 2009

White Pants + What Was I Thinking?

I’ve long been a fan of white pants, but it has been hard for me to find a pair that fit well.  See, white on the bottom is not the most flattering of colors, and it helps to have a relatively heftier fabric for structure and to hide the flaws.  Now that they’re kind of on-trend, I was happy to score this great-fitting pair at H&M.

Philippine-made straw hat, Paul Smith scarf, Topman polka-dot shirt, H&M white pants, Hermes bracelet, penny loafers from Don Quijote

I love the deep, burnt orange color of the scarf and the swingy, shiny threads of silk that form the fringe.

close-up of the shirt, scarf, and hat

In other news, I took a trip to the fabric store today and bought a couple of fabrics to be made into button-down shirts:

What was I thinking??? English roses on a faint pink background in “peach-skin silk” and a black-and-white abstract square pattern in silk chiffon (don’t worry, they’re both washable), the sales lady must have thought I was shopping for my grandmother!
Now to the drawing board to conjure up ideas on how to modernize and possibly butch these fabrics up a bit.  Oh to be a frustrated designer.

• beautiful things
    April 22nd, 2009 at 6:22 am

that square pattern silk is wonderful! oh it’s gonna make a wonderful shirt i bet

• -h
    April 22nd, 2009 at 7:15 am

i know what you mean about finding flattering white bottoms. i really like the polka dot shirt against the red scarf.

• Camie
    April 22nd, 2009 at 7:43 am

Hay nako Izzy we should chat sometime! Natutuwa talaga ako sa blog mo kahit na di ako nagccomment.

I’m amazed at your readiness to go to the tailor. I wish I had your energy in having my costumes made.

Despite what you say about white pants, at least you’re a guy and you don’t have to worry about stains on the white pants. Haha. That’s my reason why I hate white pants.

• Noelle Chantal
    April 22nd, 2009 at 9:02 am

Izzy, you look great in white pants. That’s a perfect fit for you. Honestly, I don’t have a white pants. I hate them too, you know why! hehe. The straw hat is very Pinoy. Cute! I also have straw hats, I bought in Quiapo. hehe.

By the way, the fabrics you bought are actually very nice, esp the floral one. I’m excited to see them made into button-down shirts. :)

• Dr. Debonaire
    April 22nd, 2009 at 10:20 am

This outfit is a total WIN! I don’t think the fabrics are too outrageous. They’re very summery. I definitely think you can pull them off.

• Giancinephile
    April 23rd, 2009 at 2:07 am

Oh! yeah… white trousers kinda make me feel iffy wearing them but I end up wearing them on a few occasions.

My only problem with them is that you walk out of the household in pristine white and go home with them a bit soiled because it’s inevitable. haha

• Robbie Delon
    April 23rd, 2009 at 5:01 am

Those are really nice fabrics. I really wish you would get such beautiful ones where I live. Haha, all you get here is the boring stripes or plaid haha but I stumble across some good ones sometimes. And sometimes my tailor freaks out by seeing so much colour on the fabric of one shirt haha. Moments like those can never be forgotten haha.

Robbie

• Eden
    April 23rd, 2009 at 10:52 am

hi izzy,

encountered your blog through noelle chantal’s and i am so so so delighted! i’ve already met several fashionable pinay girls– but not yet a dapper pinoy! you so remind me of my stylist/bff. i love your style! i wish more men around here would dress up like you. again, i could only wish…

i am very jealous of your travels as well. tres chic and tres green with envy!

hope you could drop by my blog as well.

much love

eden

• wax
    April 25th, 2009 at 1:55 am

white pants are quite hard to pull-off, that’s why i’m trying my very best to stay away from them. haha

but wow, you were able to pull them white pants pretty great. nice one! :)