May 24, 2009

DIY: The Multi-colored Whistle Necklace

Making its rounds about the menswear blogosphere a few days ago, this multi-colored whistle necklace by Phenomenon (available for a rather hefty price of 86 USD at choiceisyours.jp) caught my eye.   I thought to myself, pfft, I can so make that.

whistle necklace by Phenomenon
So I did.  I purchased five whistles at the toy store and strung them through a silver ball chain lying around the house, most probably from an unused ID card.  Total cost: USD 5.50.

whistle necklace by The Dandy Project
There were only four colors available in plastic, so I had to settle for a silver one in the center.  It kind of makes it my own though, don’t you think?
Here it is worn:

vintage bowler hat, shirt by Comme des Garcons PLAY, DIY whistle necklace, Casio calculator watch, tailor-made black skinnies, Swear patent jazz shoes

• Shay
    May 23rd, 2009 at 1:29 pm

oh my gosh that’s so great! Well done. I know I’m not the biggest commenter in the world, but I read your blog all the time and love it. Def my favorite menswear blog.

• Brook and Lyn
    May 23rd, 2009 at 1:36 pm

So fun and goes perfectly with your CDG PLAY shirt! $86??? That’s nuts. You were right to make it your own with just $5.50!

• jules
    May 23rd, 2009 at 1:50 pm

yours is so much better- i love the silver whistle. great cdg shirt too.

i really enjoy your blog. would you mind taking a look at mine?

• james v.
    May 23rd, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I love this outfit! Nice DIY!

• up and down town
    May 23rd, 2009 at 2:29 pm

not only does yours looks better (i think that silver one in there adds something most definitely), but you wear it so perfectly. it was meant for CdG play.

• -h
    May 23rd, 2009 at 3:20 pm

yah, i think the silver in the middle is definitely the right touch.
    at first from the thumbnail in my blog reader i thought the necklace were those little hot wheels cars.

• Hapsical Blog
    May 23rd, 2009 at 4:24 pm

this is so cool.. way to save $80!

Love the outfit, it goes really well with the CDG Play shirt

• mrjameskent
    May 23rd, 2009 at 6:29 pm

boss man

• khaz of beautiful things
    May 23rd, 2009 at 9:15 pm

accessories are some of the most ridiculously-priced wardrobe items

• RetroVintageModStyle
    May 24th, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Great idea! Some stuff can be very over priced. And this proofs that regardless of the price, sometimes less expensive pieces can look more stylish than overpriced ones. Money can’t buy style ;)

BTW liked pretty much all your shirt projects in previous posts!

• PinkBow
    May 24th, 2009 at 4:54 pm

so cool, a great look!

• Noelle Chantal
    May 25th, 2009 at 10:42 am

You look so cute here, Izzy! yours is so much better. i like it with the silver one in the middle. and your polo with those shoes is so very nice! plus that hat looks perfect on your hair. i like your hair that way. :)

Are they selling that white Stussy in Rockwell or in Greenbelt?

• Ca
    May 26th, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Hello and thank you for the lovely comment! I’m glad to hear from another stylish male blogger who posts outfits shots, always inspirational.

And wow, how clever to make the whistle necklace. Very playful and the perfect quirky touch to a simple and elegant look.

• Ca
    May 26th, 2009 at 12:54 pm

And oh, I forgot to say: thanks for linking me! I’m usually slow and a bit picky with links exchanges but I’ll add your blog. Keep up the good work!

And gosh, I love the hat!

• Style Salvage Steve
    May 27th, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Blow your whistle(s)! I love this outfit and envy your eye for an accessory and of course your ability to create! Inspiring yet simple, great stuff!

• ziggy s.
    May 27th, 2009 at 1:13 pm

i just saw this necklace a while ago. i think i want one. lmao

• hard liquor; soft holes
    May 27th, 2009 at 4:54 pm

whistle necklaces 4EVER

• FABIO who ?
    January 23rd, 2010 at 8:10 pm

You are amazing! I love your ideas, and your blog.