May 8, 2009

My Debut as a Frustrated Designer: The Floral Shirt

As you know a huge part of my posts on this blog deals with the “projects” that I take on with my tailor: following these pieces from the inspiration, to the conceptualization, to the fabrication, and finally, working them into an outfit.  Recently, I have started to become more experimental with my projects, actually “designing” pieces from scratch as opposed to having classic/basic pieces made, or having things copied.  This floral shirt, which I blogged about having made a couple of weeks ago, is my debut as a frustrated designer.

I’m slowly dipping my toes into design, trying to practice restraint.  The only design input that came from me really, besides strict specifications on the fit, would be the covered placket, which is the flap that conceals the buttons in front.  I think it adds a much-needed shot of modernity and masculinity to such a grandmotherly fabric.
I was very pleased with how the fabric draped; silk drapes and flows very much differently than cotton, which is the most common shirting material for men.  Silk also holds pigments better than cotton, so you could achieve more vivid colors on silk that don’t fade as you wash it.  I do think they should start making more shirts for men in silk.  Here it is worn:

Philippine-made straw hat, floral shirt designed by me (I just love saying that.), Opening Ceremony for Uniqlo cropped khakis, H&M shoes

• khaz of beautiful things
    May 8th, 2009 at 10:51 pm

i was waiting for how your fabric would turn out, and it came out beautifully

• yougotgoodtaste
    May 8th, 2009 at 11:48 pm

it looks fantastic!
    you definately pulled this off without moving into grandmother territory at all. quite a feat! :D
    well done!
    can’t wait to see more of your personally designed items!

• Sabrina
    May 8th, 2009 at 11:52 pm

The covered placket was a very good idea. The shirt is amazing, hope to see more from you in the future!

• -h
    May 9th, 2009 at 12:29 am

wow! that design turned out really well! and i esp. like how you wear it with the super bright shoes.

• ♥Jozee
    May 9th, 2009 at 2:13 am

That shirt is fantastic. Really well done. I really like it when clothes blur the gender boundaries. Of course, your styling really puts it over the top. Well done!

Btw, just found you via brook&lyn and love your blog. Will be subbing in my reader and linking. :D

• yves
    May 9th, 2009 at 4:45 am

So you got that shirt finally made!
    Fits to a tee, refreshing, very Copacobana chic, i’m inspired ;)

much love
    yvestyle.blogspot.com

• Miguel Paolo Celestial
    May 9th, 2009 at 8:18 am

I like how the florals on the right side are faded, compared to the left. I think the contrast made it possible for the shirt to look masculine.

• Brook and Lyn
    May 9th, 2009 at 9:34 am

I would wear that entire outfit as is…great job on the shirt. It’s fun to design isn’t it? I would love to do some more and make HK an annual trip.

• Freya
    May 9th, 2009 at 10:19 am

great job! You have great style and this doesn’t look grandmotherly at all on you.

• naboonies
    May 9th, 2009 at 2:56 pm

i think what determines the masculinity of this shirt despite having the grandmotherly feel (like you said) is the cut and fit of the shirt, which is wonderful and can’t be any more perfect! Such a great tailor you have!

• Camie
    May 10th, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Izzy the shirt looks great on you. :) bagay rin ang bright blue shoes. :) Looking forward to your future adventures with the tailor’s.

• Katie
    May 10th, 2009 at 6:23 pm

the shirt is perfection. and of course you wear it extremely well.

this is now my reference for quintessential spring/summer outfit.

• white lightning
    May 11th, 2009 at 11:13 am

THOSE SNEAKERS ARE EVERYTHING!!!

• Noelle Chantal
    May 14th, 2009 at 1:35 am

Izzy, i like the outcome of the polo! you are so right about choosing that print and fabric, it turned out so beautiful. and i like the bright shoes here. very summer-y color. i love this one you look so fresh! :)

• Jesm
    December 26th, 2010 at 7:04 am

i like that the buttons are hidden.

December 28th, 2011 at 11:58 pm

nice shirt… if you could just fold the sleeves up a little and loosen the colar button – that would make it a little more masculine.