May 13, 2009

The Frustrated Designer Part 2: The Chiffon Shirt

There was another fabric that I bought together with the floral silk that I turned into a shirt, one that is arguably harder to work with than the pink rose-laden fabric.  Yes, I did buy a couple of yards of black and white square-print chiffon to make into a button-down shirt.  If the floral silk risked going into grandmotherly territory, there was a serious possibility my chiffon shirt would look like a tacky aunt’s blouse.  Aware of the risk, I knew that on the design front, slightly more input would have to come from me this time.

I had the collar done in black for visual contrast, and had it made more structured to stand up to the light flowiness of the chiffon.  It was also my idea to have two front pockets placed, in an effort to minimize diaphanousness in the area where pockets go, in order to eliminate the need for an undershirt, which could take away from the drape and lightness of the shirt.  Here it is worn:

Plotting my next sartorial schemes…  Ray-Ban Wayfarers, chiffon shirt designed by me, Casio calculator watch, tailor-made pants, black patent Dr. Martens

close-up of the shoes
On a hot and humid day, nothing beats wearing a chiffon shirt that weighs next to nothing.

• up and down town
    May 13th, 2009 at 1:12 pm

wow!
    marvelous, head to toe.

• Nikyta
    May 13th, 2009 at 1:28 pm

luv the shirt and it really suits you

• PinkBow
    May 13th, 2009 at 1:57 pm

the shirt is fabulous & the patent boots finish it off perfectly

• Sabrina
    May 13th, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I had to comment on this second one too. Genius! You have a good eye

• sophia
    May 13th, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I think this might be my favorite outfit that you have ever posted. I like that the shirt is so structured but the fabric then contrasts that and makes it drape. The docs are a nice touch as well.

• -h
    May 13th, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I LOVE THIS SHIRT!!!!!!!!!! now i want one!!!!!!!!!

• Miguel Paolo Celestial
    May 13th, 2009 at 6:27 pm

The shirt looks good. Congratulations! Makes me want to go to a fabric store as soon as they open. Today.

I’m thinking maybe it would be great to also have black sleeve hems…

Where did you get your shoes?

• Jessie77
    May 13th, 2009 at 7:43 pm

the black collar is genius!

• izzy
    May 13th, 2009 at 10:00 pm

up and down town, nikyta, pinkbow, sabrina, sophia, h, miguel, jessie: thanks for the love guys, I appreciate it.

miguel: I got the patent docs in London.

• naboonies
    May 13th, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Great great pattern!

May 13th, 2009 at 11:38 pm

I really like it a lot.
    I feel like black detailing on edges of the sleeves would be amazing however.

• Noelle Chantal
    May 14th, 2009 at 1:50 am

yes, that chiffon fabric is perfect for the weather. you are one creative and talented frustrated designer, Izzy. hehe, i like the print of the chiffon and the docs with that texture is a perfect choice too.

by the way about the Ray-Ban Wayfarers, I’m not so sure if they are still selling Ray-bans in that Optical shop in Quiapo. the last time we went there was a year ago. but i can ask my cousin about it. she usually go there. i’ll let you know the details too! :)

• Frederic Betancourt.
    May 14th, 2009 at 6:44 am

I love shoes….I´m thinking about get ones… too late?¿

• Christine
    May 14th, 2009 at 9:34 am

good job on the shirt! :)

love everything!!!

• Freya
    May 14th, 2009 at 11:22 am

you are only person who makes me wish I were a boy

• Camie
    May 14th, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Izzy you made me look up the meaning of diaphanous. :O Haha. Shirt looks great!

• up and down town
    May 14th, 2009 at 4:33 pm

if the pants fit better … i will be very tempted. it is absolutely perfect that the lines are far apart, that is key.
    your top here reminds me of the spring dries van noten collection (women’s). i love dries.
    are patent docs any harder to wear, initially, than standard docs?

May 14th, 2009 at 10:19 pm

hello.

werd u get the large raybans you have? i cant find any in manila

• izzy
    May 14th, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Anonymous: I got my wayfarers in Rome, they are the XL model I believe. My friend Michelle (chicclinic.blogspot.com) seems to have gotten the only black XL ones that arrived in Manila.

May 15th, 2009 at 4:43 am

your projects are inspiring! i want to have some polos tailored because of these!

i totally love your blog! thedandyproject > bryanboy! :)

-B

• Brook and Lyn
    May 15th, 2009 at 11:16 am

I saw a vintage hot pinkish orange doc martens and almost bought them…it’s not really my style but I would like it to be! I very much like yours as well…never seen patent leather ones! Your shirt turned out great…you did a fantastic job matching up the pattern in the front and shoulders.

• up and down town
    May 17th, 2009 at 11:13 pm

such a pity to hear about the brutal docs. i paid my dues with my current pair (14 eye) – it took almost a year to make them wearable. i’m not in your shoes, but dare i say the patent looks worth it.
    on sale i’ve been able to afford 4 pieces of dries, and i must say…perfection.
    that was the lad suit on my blog, or an attempt at it, but i have yet to try it on in anything besides pencil yet. i got caught up with a quest for a pillow this weekend. (that’s a pathetic excuse. oh, and i went spectacle shopping.) next weekend, i’ll visit the suit, i swear.
    i like to be anonymous and most readers just refer to me as “editor.” but, shhhh, i’ll stick my name down here – no one is going to read this epic comment ;) jennifer.
    i added yours to the blogs i follow. :)

• Style Salvage Steve
    May 18th, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Great work, this shirt is really something! The styling of this whole look is spot on.

Also, I am regretting not buying a pair of those doc martens…I guess there is still time to rectify my earlier consumerist indecision.

• Vogueite
    May 19th, 2009 at 6:41 am

haha i have the same boots, but i stopped wearing them for a few months now because i found them too shiny. might give them a go again…

• fuchsiaboy
    May 20th, 2009 at 4:58 am

you should start doing a collection izzy. ;)

• Starfish
    July 9th, 2011 at 10:16 am

that really turned out great! its looks perfect on ya. heheh is that the mr burns hands?!