June 25, 2009

DIY: The Paint-Splattered Laceups

Today I decided to give a plain old pair of brown lace-up shoes a new lease on life by showering it with a thunderstorm of colorful acrylic paints.  I was inspired by this picture of a pair of Alexander McQueen Spring 2010 shoes,

via Dazed Digital
of which I spoke to twitter buddies Steve and Mat about replicating at home with an old pair of shoes and some paints (or more like they were talking amongst themselves and I went on to beat them to their idea, thanks guys hahaha).

McQueen Spring 2010, aka nearly the only Milan collection that mattered, was inspired by a painter’s wardrobe.  See the same shoes in this look.
I already had in mind the perfect pair of shoes for this project.

the “before”: plain brown leather shoes from French Connection
So I took a quick trip to the art supplies shop and went straight for the primary-colored paints, as I imagined they’d make for a nice pop-art graphic accent to my wardrobe of blacks and whites.  The basic primary colors weren’t available, but I was still quite happy with the pseudo-primary colors I came home with: a saturated ochre yellow, ruby red with just a little hit of rose, and a brilliant cobalt blue.  I started by literally splattering some paint with my fingers to form odd shapes, I quite liked this yellow triple-tadpole shape I formed:

I then used a variety of paint-application techniques to build on the pattern: paint-brushing, dabbing on with gloves, swirling ribbons of paint from a height, and smudging colors together with my fingers, it was therapeutic!

A dewey sneak peek at the finished product.  Notice the texture of the paint, it’s real as can be!
As a personal touch, I decided to paint the heels white to provide a clean, crisp contrast to all the chaos going on up top.  I was really pleased with the result.

There’s something about the juxtaposition of a formal shoe and the messy paint splatters that makes it very charming.  I reckon it wouldn’t be quite as quirky if I paint-splattered a pair of sneakers.
Now, what to wear, what to wear, what to wear them with?

• Malena
    June 25th, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Those shoes look amazing! That's a really great idea for a DIY

• Mat Ahoy - Buckets and Spades
    June 25th, 2009 at 1:33 pm

you did get there first!! i just need to find some suitable shoes, i sold all the ones i didnt wear anymore. ah man you went mad with the paint didn't you! looks so messy and thats the reason why i need to get on with it. no-one else is going to have a pair of these bad boys thats for sure.

great touch with the heal too, im sure me and steve will be keeping you posted.

• Markese
    June 25th, 2009 at 1:36 pm

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR SHOES! One tinsey dislike is the fact that the white you put on the heal looks to me like it got on the shoe… and I wouldn't have done that myself but to each his own! STILL LOVE THE SHOES AND ANGRY I COULD NEVER IN MY LIFE DO THAT!!

Oh one question though… how'd you get your IFB patch on the side? I mean I'm apart of IFB but I can't find the logo for a link…

• Deanne
    June 25th, 2009 at 2:13 pm

do u have any seersucker shorts? maybe even some pastel colored socks, like lavender? those would look so "dandy" with them!

• Homme Times
    June 25th, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Wow, only a few days after the MCqueen collection was released and a DIY already in the works. That's genius! I'm seriously loving your take on it a lot better. You can actually still see the shoe somewhat. In the original it's just 99.9% covered, so I think that will work better when you pair it up with something else. Good luck on finding it!..

• Markese
    June 25th, 2009 at 3:52 pm

I found them!!

• Isabel
    June 25th, 2009 at 4:10 pm

This is so so cool! McQueen is such a genius. Your DIY turned out amazingly well!

• james v.
    June 25th, 2009 at 4:38 pm

This is a pretty cool diy. I like what you did with the heel! The final product looks great!

• Quan
    June 25th, 2009 at 5:01 pm

oh wow!!! I love DIY, and your result turns out amazing!!!! it's more "filled" rather than "dirty" effect like McQueen's either way both are good, but somehow I am drawn toward yours because it makes a bolder statement. are those acrylic paints?! I wanted to make a splattered paint shirt too, but I use acrylic paint for my artwork, I wasn't sure if acrylic will last. =_= so I didn't do it, instead I shredded it lol.

• -h
    June 25th, 2009 at 6:09 pm

you're so braze to do that…

• Frederic Betancourt.
    June 25th, 2009 at 6:22 pm

I´m in trully love.

I´ll be there the entire JULY!
    I´ve got some things planned(even casts from agencies)

• Sabrina
    June 25th, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Neat! I think I like the bright colours on yours better. I'm wondering how you'll wear them :) I definitely agree about McQueen being the top in Milan. The rest just don't add anything new… at all.

• chauss
    June 26th, 2009 at 12:13 am

loub cactus slippers?
    now, painted shoes. LOVE.
    i am gonna have to call you
    chauss jr.

June 26th, 2009 at 10:38 am

i think you pulled it off! the problem usually with doing this kind of DIY "paint splatter effect" is how to make the paint blots random and not orchestrated! wee another DIY inspiration

- B

• Tom Tuttle from Tacoma
    June 26th, 2009 at 11:37 am

oh i weep for the old shoes but i celebrate the new ones – i like the white heels against the brown background. i trust you will come up with something to go with these.

• hard liquor; soft holes
    June 26th, 2009 at 3:33 pm

those turned out really well!

• izzy
    June 26th, 2009 at 3:52 pm

malena, mat, markese, deanne, HT, isabel, james, quan, h, frederic, sabrina, c, b, tom, steve – thank you all, regular commenters and those who were moved to comment by their amazement with the shoes, I really appreciate it. I was feeling iffy about the shoes when I came to post them, but perhaps that was just because I was sick of staring at them all day the day I worked on them.

deanne: thanks for the suggestion, I can imagine how dandy that would indeed look!

quan: oh no, I hope these last!

frederic: good luck! you're really talented!

• Mat Ahoy - Buckets and Spades
    June 26th, 2009 at 4:28 pm

well if you arent sure about them after a while you could always add more paint! its like a new pair of shoes everytime!

• up and down town
    June 27th, 2009 at 3:48 pm

mcqueen's look is pitch perfect; the idea of buying pre-painted shoes is anathema to me; doing it yourself is pitch-perfect.
    :D

• Matt Fox
    June 27th, 2009 at 10:11 pm

They look great!

• yves
    June 28th, 2009 at 3:14 pm

you actually did a really breakthrough job! I thought they wouldn't look good, bt they turned out amazing…

great idea

yvestyle.blogspot.com

June 29th, 2009 at 10:21 am

Zara had paint spattered shoes last season.. it was some kind of special edition…..

• fuchsiaboy
    June 30th, 2009 at 1:34 am

loves your shoes izzy.

• Hapsical
    July 1st, 2009 at 7:35 pm

great result, love it

• Vigdis
    March 11th, 2010 at 7:27 pm

i like the result, like DIY. great pictures!

I do some DIY myself..

best wishes

/ http://nyckmaskin.blogspot.com

• InThought
    August 7th, 2010 at 4:41 am

WOW!! That is wonderful…Iam going to do this to these stillettos I've had for 2 years and never wore because they look so plan…now I have a cool DIY project to upgrade them, I just might make a bag to match!!
    Thanks for sharing

December 6th, 2010 at 11:53 am

great, but the colours look like they have come straight out of the tube. I have the exact same acrylic colours myself. Next time maybe you could mix your own colours, like an artist would do. They'd mix a little bit of ochre and magenta for a rich orangey hue that it completely unique for example.
    The white heel is a great touch.

December 6th, 2010 at 7:30 pm

great tip, anonymous. thanks!

• Anna
    October 5th, 2011 at 9:39 am

Great idea for people who can't draw. And first time I've seen it on guys' shoes. Awesome. :)