June 19, 2009

Of Jumpsuits and Hawaiian-Print Jersey Rayon Suits: Discovering Tim Soar

I learned of the existence of a certain designer Tim Soar just a few moments ago via a post on Style Salvage.  I was inexplicably drawn to this particular ensemble:

a three-button suit in Hawaiian-print jersey washed rayon, worn by the designer himself.  I suppose my enchantment could be explained the presence of three things in this suit: the outlandish print, the comfortable jersey fabric, and the fact that it was a suit, complete with buttons and a lapel.  This is easily my dumbest impulse want ever.
Still high from my suit-crush, I went on to look up the designer and his collections.  To my eye-popping amusement, I found an unusually high concentration of things that I love:
jumpsuits

Though I admit the wide-legged linen jumpsuit to the left might look better on a lady, I could think of tens of ways I could wear that grayish blue stonewashed wonder on the right.

Doc Martens

belted long coats

Side note, on which model would it be better to showcase a long boxy coat belted at the waist than on fashionably manorexic Ash Stymest?  I swear, he is such an effective model.

odd prints

The naked lady turtleneck takes the concept of the snuggly sweater to a whole different level.

and oddly shaped trousers galore!

Tim Soar is everything that I respond to in menswear nowadays: fresh talent, experimental fabrics and silhouettes, a joyful outlook, clean tailoring, all while managing to retain a semblance of wearability.  Why oh why is it that I had heard of his sartorial genius just now?

• Isabel
    June 19th, 2009 at 1:56 pm

There's this guy at my work who always wears Hawaiian shirts and i always laugh at him in my head. But those suits are oddly endearing, y'know?

• up and down town
    June 19th, 2009 at 6:41 pm

love the top suit (i would wear it), and the pants in the bottom row, far right.
    in general, i like a lot of this. interesting.

• ♥ fashion chalet
    June 21st, 2009 at 10:04 pm

your comment was very-much appreciated :)

hoping all is well?

x!!

• thischicksgotstyle
    June 22nd, 2009 at 5:55 am

That's all amazing!!

• Tom Tuttle from Tacoma
    June 22nd, 2009 at 7:41 am

ita with Isabel. i lol at first but as i scrolled down, i found myself being drawn to them. i love almost everything here. i love menswear and men's shoes. men's bags, too :P

June 22nd, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Thanks for the very kind words.
    The Hawaiian suit is in fact washed rayon. Rayon is a long fibre yarn so it moves really nicely. Enzyme washes then soften it so it feels almost like jersey.

Tim

• izzy
    June 23rd, 2009 at 2:08 am

Thanks, Tim! I really appreciate you taking time to comment. Your work is well worth raving about. And thank you for your correction regarding the material of the hawaiian print suit, I just edited the post now.