June 18, 2009

The Pocket-Stuffer

Sometimes the most insignificant element in an outfit could be the one that brings it to life.  What is a pocket square anyways but a vestige of the old practice of displaying one’s wiping-cloth?  Nobody really uses a pocket square as a handkerchief nowadays; like the neck tie, it’s purely decorative.

Ray-Ban wayfarers, Hugo Boss shirt, tailor-made shawl-lapel jacket, vintage silk scarf worn as pocket square, DOM Christian Koban ring, Cheap Monday black jeans, The Kooples boots

close-up of the vintage silk scarf I got in the Marais
Since the rest of the outfit is rather trim and quiet, I decided to exaggerate the proportions of the pocket ornament a little bit, using a full-size silk scarf as a pocket square.  It does fold nicely into a pocket-stuffer, but, mind you, it is large enough to wear as a shawl.

The Kooples beige suede Santiags: I might just purchase another pair in black very soon.
I always feel good wearing these boots, partly due to the extra couple of inches they add to my height.  You know, a little heel is good for your feet and posture.

• Jolie Roux
    June 18th, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Well it's nice to see a guy with some fashion since.
    J freaking adore the jacket and shades…

• JKISSI
    June 18th, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Wow good post I guess great minds think alike because I was thinking of doing something similar. I have a bunch of vintage silk scarves I use as pocket squares too. Keep it up my brother.

• Isabel
    June 18th, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Thanks for your comment on my blog – do I even need to mention how much I love the shoes? No. You should know that already. ;)

You look amazing – so classy with the pocket handkerchief!

• -h
    June 18th, 2009 at 3:48 pm

dapper.

• naboonies
    June 18th, 2009 at 6:44 pm

jolie boots!

June 19th, 2009 at 2:37 am

yay you are posting entries more regulary! i hope you keep it this way! you've earned a following already.

- B

• Mat Ahoy - Buckets and Spades
    June 19th, 2009 at 10:17 am

very nice indeed, i've taken to wearing one in my denim jacket pocket.

• Stray
    August 11th, 2009 at 5:25 am

That is an awesome pair of boots! I 've been looking for a pair of gaucho boots without being overtly Western and these are perfect! Do they have an on line shop?

August 11th, 2009 at 5:57 am

Stray: That's exactly what I like about them, that they aren't overly Western. Yes, they have an online store: http://www.thekooples.com but I'm afraid the boots aren't available anymore.