July 7, 2009

An Optimistic Autumn

The Opening Ceremony look book for Fall/Winter 2009 brings a surge of color and a tone of joy that is a welcome contrast to the bleak blacks that dominated last year’s fall which came alongside the advent of the recession. (Oh and here we get to see the previously blogged Fall 09 shoes in action!)
fashionably folksy: Opening Ceremony x Pendleton wool jacket
Designers Humberto Leon and Carol Lim bring us the essentials for a happy autumn: pieces bedecked with bursts of color (not merely jewel tones, but bright Crayola colors!)
The crazy, squiggly-embroidered grass green gloves worn in the coat pocket are a nice touch.
The air tie+brocade vest/jacket+crimson trousers are a modern take on dandy style.
and detailed with a healthy dose of humor.
Though probably not the warmest of sweaters, this peek-a-boo sweater is sure to solicit a few mischievous stares from strangers. If you’re lucky, you might even get a couple of giggles!
The contrasting plaid shirt gives your fall wardrobe just that little hit of cuckoo. Meanwhile, that plaid jacket with fur trim might just be the perfect cold-weather jacket.
And how genius are their chinos with contrast rolled hems?
black trimmed with purple
khaki trimmed with teal (this I immensely covet.)
I wonder if they’re lined with the colored fabric, or if the fabric is really colored that way on the reverse side. What do you think? Either way, they’re way up on my want list!
images via ModeMan

• Frederic Betancourt.
    July 7th, 2009 at 12:43 pm

AMAZING.
    :D

• jules
    July 7th, 2009 at 1:02 pm

the last look is absolutely perfect.

• Mat Ahoy - Buckets and Spades
    July 7th, 2009 at 2:00 pm

you beat me to it, i was going to do a post of this before. i may still go for it anyways. this is such a strong collection, keeping it quirky without being to tacky/trend/gimmicky.

whats your fav item? i can't decide but them gloves look top.

• izzy
    July 7th, 2009 at 2:03 pm

mat: my faves have got to be the plaid jacket with the fur collar and the khakis with teal trim.

• Isabel
    July 7th, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Yay Pendleton! I love the pattern on that jacket.

• james v.
    July 7th, 2009 at 10:45 pm

This is really good. Its reminds me of the latest Marc by Marc Jacobs collection, you should check that out!

• Frank&Rémy
    July 8th, 2009 at 5:37 am

Amazing collection! Will definitely buy a few things from there as soon as they are out in the stores

btw, dig your blog!

• EJ
    July 8th, 2009 at 7:14 am

Oh my… I really want that hole-y jumper now (surely the high street won't let me down copying that one?)

• Style Salvage Steve
    July 8th, 2009 at 10:00 am

One of the strongest lookbooks out there. I have to echo EJ, the cut out knit is amazing, just think of the layering options.

• Alexxander
    July 8th, 2009 at 1:39 pm

loveeeee this pics(L)

• up and down town
    July 8th, 2009 at 1:45 pm

i'd think it's the fabric, that it has a different color on the reverse side – otherwise i don't think we'd see the seam as we do, with the outside color.

• Sean
    July 9th, 2009 at 12:28 pm

This collection is awesome especially the top look and those teal lined chinos.

• BrookandLyn
    July 11th, 2009 at 10:04 am

oww that peek-a-boo sweater! I love it. I can't wait to go to LA opening ceremony next week. They have much better merchandise on sale since the style is so different there. Things that sell out here I think people don't even think twice about wearing it on the westcoast.