July 26, 2009

things I designed

I throw around the word “design” rather loosely, by it I mean I pick out the fabric, take it to the tailor, and explain the concept in 100 words or less.
A shirt

I saw the fabric at the store and thought it would make an easy summer shirt. The one blue sleeve was my personal touch. My feelings towards that sleeve differ every time I look at it.
and a pair of pajama pants

Inspired by this post on Buckstyle (and frustrated by the fact that I passed up on those fabulous printed H&M printed pj pants from that shoot), I decided to design my own comfy, easy, pajama pants. I opted for a light navy shirting cotton and a wide waistband in black satin a la boxing shorts.

close-up of the satin elastic waistband
Craftsmanship may not have come out a hundred percent on point, and odd proportions may have made them too low-rise for comfort wear, but that won’t stop me from wearing out my own design proudly!

• Flora
    July 26th, 2009 at 4:37 pm

i like them :)

• Quan
    July 26th, 2009 at 5:33 pm

the shirt looks great, the blue sleeve is a nice (and risky) touch! nothing beats wearing your own design!

• the F word
    July 26th, 2009 at 6:10 pm

i want some can you make some more i love them both especially the shirt it so different to the thousands of shirts i have in my wardrobe

• james v.
    July 26th, 2009 at 6:38 pm

That sleeve works really well with the pattern that shirt has

• Miguel Paolo Celestial
    July 27th, 2009 at 12:27 am

Love the shirt sleeve and its kiwi-like pattern, especially with the pink (?) flecks towards the hem.

• khaz of beautiful things
    July 27th, 2009 at 1:52 am

great designs

• Style Salvage Steve
    July 27th, 2009 at 9:41 am

Good work! Both are great but the shirt is my pick. I think you should publish your 100 word concept explanation alongside the finished pieces.

July 27th, 2009 at 9:54 am

flora, quan, the f word, james, khaz: thank you for your kind words. I was beginning to doubt myself on these last two pieces.

miguel: kiwi fruit or bird? haha. yup, the flecks are pink.

steve: thanks for the style salvage seal of approval. I wouldn't want to bore you with the technicalities of my instruction though! Besides, if I do publish it, it'll have to be in Tagalog. :p

• Isabel
    July 27th, 2009 at 3:41 pm

I absolutely love how the shirt turned out! Your DIYS are very inspiring.

• hard liquor; soft holes
    July 27th, 2009 at 6:42 pm

the waistband is very very dries. so obviously i mean that as a compliment.

• fuchsiaboy
    July 28th, 2009 at 7:06 am

i've been liking the elastic waistband also. all the pants in collection for f/w 09 have elasticized waist. it's just so comfy and casual.

• John
    July 29th, 2009 at 9:30 am

Nice Nice. Love the shirt. Sleeve works for me. I have always thought boxing/muay-thai shorts/gown were ripe for turning in to luxury basics. Great Job!

• up and down town
    July 29th, 2009 at 11:42 pm

I love that sleeve!!! It's a detail that elevates the whole thing.
    Lately I've stopped experimenting with my own projects and focussed on (re)training my shopping skills. I felt I needed to hone my critical eye before I could trust myself to create.

• leila grace
    July 30th, 2009 at 6:53 pm

that shirt….. wow. very very nice. ahaha my friend actually did something similar with the pj pants. he took a pair to his tailor, but she refused to work on them. he had to slip in a few extra bills. ahaha

great blog, ton of fun and interesting posts to read!

leila grace
    the vain and the bored

• Lynn
    August 6th, 2009 at 9:02 pm

im amazed that you can design and have your clothes made. and you're so talented. i know a good design if i see one but i dont think i have the talent to come up with one!

and yes, im filipino too :)

• Jazz
    July 2nd, 2010 at 8:49 am

This blog is fantastic! I am very much in the same boat where I want to get my own clothes made and this has given me alot of help and inspiration! Thank you!