January 7, 2010

Staples at the Supermarket

This blog is witness to how experimental I can be with fashion. With every post, I try to put forth some little novel idea on how to dress, whether it be a new silhouette of trousers, resurrecting seemingly outdated styles of footwear, or simply a different way of wearing shirts. But the truth is, much as I try, I just can’t dress like everyday is fashion week; not every single outfit I step out of the house in is governed by one earth-shaking idea.
golden eyes at the grocery
I have a uniform for those days, and it’s pretty much comprised of different versions of the same elements. This outfit that I submitted for Style Salvage’s Style Stalking feature on me (many many thanks, EJ and Steve!) happens to show all of those.
Super sunglasses, Urban Outfitters shirt, Cartier watch, J. Crew khakis, Opening Ceremony desert boots
These are The Dandy Project’s Style Staples:
1. statement eyewear
I thought my Super sunglasses above screamed tropical vacation, hence the pair and I have been inseparable for the past couple of weeks. I think statement eyewear does wonders at lending a sense of authenticity to an ensemble.
These glasses by Selima Optique remind me so much of a pair I found at Facial Index, my newest favorite modern Japanese optician in SoHo.
2. the printed short sleeved shirt
Right now, I like to wear them in a relaxed fit, untucked, and always buttoned up to the collar.
The best ones are those you design yourself. Shirt by me
3. a watch
More than being a functional instrument of time-telling, a watch, I believe, tells people around you volumes about who you are. I rarely leave home without one.
The IWC Portuguese in steel+navy alligator is understated and handsome. from irming.us
4. too-short trousers
I always say that cropped trousers make me feel taller because I look as if I’ve grown too tall for my pants.
These wide-legged cords from Kolor look clowny-cool rolled up. via Opening Ceremony
5. boots
I remain enamored with the genius combination of rolled-up pants and boots.
The Common Projects officer’s combat boot is, in my opinion, the closest to perfect you’re gonna find. via Revolve Clothing

• -h
    January 7th, 2010 at 10:41 am

I've been so drawn to (flat) boots (Well, i always love black boots), combat boots, chelsea boots…
    Beautiful watch. I think every man should wear a watch, it doesn't have to be expensive, but I feel like it's part of being a man, it's part of growing up. I hate when a grown man says, "I just use my cell phone."

• Nikyta
    January 7th, 2010 at 11:05 am

loving the golden eyes

• Isabel
    January 7th, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Ahh, this is marvelous. Dudes need to take some serious style cues from you, Izzy!

• up and down town
    January 7th, 2010 at 12:31 pm

interesting to break down the formula/elements.
    i think i pretty much dress on the same level of effort every day.
    i have been trying to id any sort of a formula for myself for a while now, with no success.

• up and down town
    January 7th, 2010 at 12:33 pm

interesting to break down the formula/elements.
    i think i pretty much dress on the same level of effort every day.

• Indie Mom and the Reluctant Banker
    January 8th, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Hey Izzy, nice post. I've been a longtime fan of Opening Ceremony's shoes after finding them in a shop in Copenhagen a few years back. I really loved their desert boots this season!

• Ces
    January 9th, 2010 at 1:40 pm

i just stumbled upon your blog. i like your DIYs, so simple but fab. ang you're so sosyal. great great fashion blog

• Hope-Fashion Narcotics
    January 9th, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I love these reflective lenses, like Alison Mossharts. Also love the shaved sides of the hair, that mmust be such a liberating look. And having the photos at the grocery store is so cool to, kind of Warholian. Love this.
    H
    xo

• Chip
    January 11th, 2010 at 1:37 am

yes! I need a good watch

• youtube.com/debbje
    January 11th, 2010 at 9:50 pm

do you want to buy vintage clothes and get free music also? http://www.bigwardrobe.com/ItemDisplay.aspx?ItemID=156028

• wecouldgrowup2gether
    January 31st, 2010 at 9:16 am

those common P. boots are orgasmic!