June 19, 2010

Madame Prada and Me

Prada leather and nylon tote from one of my favorite seasons, stud-crazy Fall 2009

I had an idea of what the perfect leather tote would be, and this one comes pretty darn close. Horizontal, roomy, with small handles and a shoulder strap, and rather spare. I really wasn’t in the market for a bag at that time, but the salesman at the Prada boutique in Monaco said that this is the bag Madame Prada carries to work everyday. Needless to say, I was sucked in! He had me at “Madame Prada”. Whether or not he says that about every bag in the shop, I’d rather not know.

It isn’t the lightest bag ever made, and the hard briefcase handles blister my baby-soft hands. Yet I’ve been lugging it around non-stop for the past couple of months: all around Europe, back to Boston, then New York, and now, halfway around the world to my hometown of Manila.
I’ve attached a salad of old-school toys to keep the bag from looking too work-y. (robot keychain from a shop in St. Paul de Vence, Lego keychain, miniature Magnetic Poetry and Etch-a-Sketch toys).
My favorite feature might have to be the bag’s closure, of which I am rather anal: the top zips up, yet when unzipped, the zipper teeth fold gracefully inward with the bag’s leather “lips” for you to be able to use the bag as an open tote without the teeth scratching the items you take in and out of the bag.
Miss Miuccia, I think your men’s line is one of the very very few Milan-based collections worth watching out for. For a profitable and rather mainstream luxury brand, you still manage to design goods directional enough to be at par with the Belgians. Now, if you could kindly resurrect men’s Miu Miu, I will love you forever.
runway photos via GQ.com

• khaz of beautiful things
    June 20th, 2010 at 3:38 am

Ooh, i've always wanted to get that bag

• Isabel
    June 20th, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Holy shit, so jealous of that bag. It's really too bad it's so heavy!

• wecouldgrowup2gether
    June 20th, 2010 at 9:10 pm

may i please steal your prada robot keychain please

• Emily and Abigail
    June 21st, 2010 at 1:11 am

that bag is great!

June 24th, 2010 at 6:27 pm

that bag is a gem

• Trixie et Simon
    July 3rd, 2010 at 7:35 am

Am jealous of that bag, am so tempted by it!
    how much did it cost?

• D R E W
    July 3rd, 2010 at 1:12 pm

have two prada bags and i use them literally every day.

one is large with a shoulder strap and handles.

the other one is a should bag that fits around the lower part of my back/waist. it fits like a glove and is great when i don't need to carry everything.

bother are super mod and plain and will always be in style.

i heart prada!

July 3rd, 2010 at 2:12 pm

drew: Hey, thanks for sharing. I heart Prada too.

• Taj
    November 22nd, 2010 at 11:41 pm

so gorgeous!!! thats like litterally my fave Prada collection EVERZZZ!!!(loljk God knows I could never be that decisive. but it did deff have best shoes!)

• Taj
    November 22nd, 2010 at 11:42 pm

p.s. I hope u don't think I'm incredibly nosy, and u only have to answer if u feel its necessary, but what do u do for a living?

November 22nd, 2010 at 11:54 pm

taj: I am a graduate student.

• Albert
    May 4th, 2011 at 11:50 am

i love the bag! could you please tell me the model #?

May 4th, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Albert: I couldn't find the model number on the Prada website, but here is the Saks link: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374306438355&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446227279&R=8033904200629&P_name=Prada&N=4294912360+306438355&bmUID=i_UKTvw

on which the model number is 0419715954001. Hope this helps!

• Albert
    May 5th, 2011 at 12:26 am

Thanks for your reply! The reason I'm asking is because I saw the bag in person once and it looks kinda huge.. and the one you have seems a big smaller… just wanted to make sure its the same model… Do you still have the authenticity card? The model should be on there..if you don't mind checking :)

May 5th, 2011 at 12:42 am

Albert: Unfortunately, I don't know where I kept it. But I know for a fact that the bag comes in a small and a larger size, and I have the smaller one.