July 21, 2010

Dandy Does (Capsule)

I spent this morning at (Capsule), a fashion trade show that showcases high-end contemporary brands, up-and-coming indie designers, and premium street wear labels. It’s for buyers (people with boutiques or those who work for bigger retailers like Barney’s etc. looking for pretty things to fill their stores with), the press, and myself, the lone, slightly lost blogger who had failed to bring his stack of business cards, hastily scribbling his Yahoo! e-mail address each time he was asked for contact information. It was a delightful experience nonetheless, shedding light on labels I had previously not known of, deepening my relationship with current loves, and causing me to reconsider brands that I had already marked with a big X when going through the list of over 150 and making a game plan for this morning’s exploration. I intend to go more in-depth on those designers I’ve fallen head over heels with in future posts, but here’s an amuse bouche of pieces that had caught my eye at the trade show today.
Henrik Vibskov laptop bags, which I would carry as portfolios:
one covered in wooden beads
and another made out of raggedy quilts.
Monitaly
Rainbow Ikat-print shorts from Japanese-designed but US-based Monitaly
Phosphorescence
outlined clear-framed sunglasses by Phosphorescence
and a couple of their collaboration lines:
with Erin Wasson and Opening Ceremony, respectively
Master-piece
the most handsome colorful suede belt bags (yes, fanny packs!) by Master-piece of Japan
and a backpack in a folksy-knit trompe l’oeil print, also by Master-piece
Highland
a map-print shirt by Highland with pajama detailing
Florsheim x Duckie Brown
a showstopper: Duckie Brown for Florsheim brogues in metallic orange
ridged suede Duckie Brown x Florsheim cap-toed shoes – I like how the ridged suede is reminiscent of lightweight corduroy.
buck shoes in sherbet hues
/div>
More to come in the following posts, folks! What have been your favorites so far?

• Chip
    July 21st, 2010 at 2:02 am

so much want!! especially the clear sunglasses

• Tom
    July 21st, 2010 at 2:34 am

I don't normally go for any shorts other than a pair of chino shorts but the print ones from Monitaly are great! Sartorially Inclined just did a post on Monitaly I think.

• Phil Lawrence
    July 21st, 2010 at 7:00 am

Particularly love the sunglasses and the shoes, amazing!

• Paddy Razzi
    July 22nd, 2010 at 9:47 am

Would actually sell my granny for a pair of those buck shoes. Linked you on my blog, hope you don't mind – i visit here all the time haha

VISIT ME AT LITTLE RAZZI

• Mat
    July 22nd, 2010 at 5:38 pm

wow if this has anything to go by i'm looking forward to the rest.

i haven't been to a menswear trade show as yet, only womens. the womens one wasn't this good!

i'm with razzi, we will sell our grans. i'm loving the map shirt, always wanted a map shirt but never found one that fits. all the shoes are will and the sunglasses are pretty fresh

• Michael
    July 23rd, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Those shorts kick ass.

And re the map shirt. I had a leather jacket as a kid with a world map as a lining. The shirt's a little less discrete. I'm not sure if I could wear it.

• Hapsical
    July 28th, 2010 at 11:26 am

The Phosphorescence sunglasses are really cool.