November 5, 2010

The White Bag

There is a mischievous luxury in buying expensive things made of white leather and not giving a hoot whether or not they get soiled.
Prada Saffiano leather briefcase in cera (Italian for wax), which I think is the most glorious shade of warm white. It is what I’d call a dark white, if such a thing exists; I’d previously been worried that a stark white bag would distastefully stick out against my predominantly black everyday wardrobe, but this mellow shade does nothing but add a touch of light creaminess to my dreary, weary cold-weather clothes.
The structured and textured Saffiano leather, very similar to Hermès epsom leather, resists scratches and allows the bag to gently weather over time, as opposed to having it garishly scuff when accidentally scratched. The padlock is a welcome indulgent touch.
Big-label designers would often create handsome bags and neglect to place nary a zipped pocket inside. It’s nice to see that Prada didn’t skimp on interior functionality with an abundance of three pen holders, two zipped pockets, a card flap, and a phone pocket, all in matching leather.
trying on some toys: bone keychain from Opening Ceremony, robot from a shop in St. Paul de Vence
I’ve spent the past couple of years trying to outgrow going for big-ticket items from mainstream labels in favor of hunting for unique pieces by more obscure designers, but the it’s greedy Asian in me that just can’t help but hoard bags.

• Mat
    November 5th, 2010 at 10:05 am

immense design, so nice. such a nice colour too

• Savile Joe
    November 5th, 2010 at 10:06 am

True that… most of the nice genuine leather bags I have all look and feel so much better when they've taken a bit of a battering! Altho I've never had the balls to buy one in white leather yet, this beauty might just tempt me now though!
    Savile Joe

• Brandon Acton-Bond
    November 5th, 2010 at 10:07 am

I love you Izz :) and I love your bag! glad you went for this one its going to look beautiful when it gets beat up although for now you can keep it on a shelf and admire it.

• Giancinephile
    November 5th, 2010 at 3:33 pm

You finally got it!!!!!!! haha

I like the compartment/interior finish. I'm not really so keen on bag terms haha.

Go and wear it out and I'd be very interested to see how the colouration gives it a more distinct character and then making it truly yours! :)

• Shane Bailey
    November 5th, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Congrats! The saffiano leather ages very well so even if it's white, it's going to be beautiful ~

• my.amalgum
    November 8th, 2010 at 12:20 am

wow such nice material.
    rugged and beautiful
    kind of reminds me of the louis vuitton material? am i right?

also, killer opening ceremony keychain that tight! what a good combination

• Styloholic
    November 8th, 2010 at 9:40 am

i'm in love with this bag!
    im getting the ruby red color! i think its design is simply timeless! and saffiano leather is just great! :) i would have loved if the handles were slightly longer, so you can actually carry it on your shoulder but not a biggie! love it anyway…
    congrats on your purchase! ;)

• Lee
    November 9th, 2010 at 11:15 am

I love that color. It'd make a great laptop bag. I can never get enough leather…

-Lee

• Alex Ingram
    November 9th, 2010 at 11:53 am

seen some great bags this season
    this one is so fresh
    tuxandtie.blogspot.com | twitter.com/tuxandtie

• Hard Liquor, Soft Holes
    November 16th, 2010 at 12:30 pm

fantastic.

• Taj
    November 22nd, 2010 at 11:36 pm

If the concept of sex died, and was reincarnated, it would come back as this bag!

• Blane Anthony Chapman
    January 24th, 2011 at 10:27 am

The key chain is the perfect compliment brings makes the bag a little less serious which is always a good thing