December 27, 2010

The Printed Portfolio

Paul Smith was one of the first designers I ever harbored a liking for; I remember saving up for his floral-print shirts in psychedelic colors back in my early college days. And though my taste for color vacillates between austere and harlequin through the years, the fact that I keep coming back to Paul Smith’s pieces proves that kook and whimsy never go out of style.
I stepped into the Paul Smith flagship store in London last summer, and couldn’t help but step out with a memento of my visit:
Paul Smith portfolio depicting a Mini Cooper decked out in the brand’s signature stripes, hanging high from a crane
One thing I love about Paul Smith pieces is that he always brings that something extra, oftentimes unseen.
I was delighted to find that the bag was lined in a kingly shade of purple.
I (cumbersomely) carried it around the shows at the last Fashion Week in New York:
Here I am with a bunch of fashion folk I don’t really know. Worn with +J coat, shirt of my design, April 77 jeans, ASOS shoes. (photo via click/clash)
Nothing says fashion journalist as much as the act of carrying around a stylish bag, overstuffed and handle-less, to reinforce the thesis that beauty of the impractical nature is most aspirational.

• Brandon Acton-Bond
    December 28th, 2010 at 1:26 am

It's pieces like this from Mr Smith that are making me take digital print design next semester and I for one, cannot wait! Love these PS laptop bags too but wish they came with more designs…

• Quan
    December 28th, 2010 at 1:38 am

loving that royal purple lining! and I need to get me of those clutch/portfolio to carry. I was just looking thru old entries, what a year it has been huh?! So great to finally meet you and got drunk in the friggin afternoon!!!!! I miss you Izzy! keep warm and stay fly! SEE YOU IN THE NEW DECADE!!! xoxo! represent! :)

• naboonies
    December 28th, 2010 at 7:57 am

This bag definitely tops my Peter Pilotto X Kipling digital print bag. Should save some dough for some good-looking bags like yours haha

• Morgan Jordan
    December 29th, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Saw you on College Fashionista – loved your resolution!

Those shoes are fantastic. You guys are too stylish.

STYLOCRAT

PS Following you!

• twofortheclothes
    December 29th, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Paul Smith is totally brilliant in his attention to detail. Love the stripey car.

x

L

• BJ Pascual
    January 1st, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Izzy! ZOMG I have one of those but mine has a charming print that I can't really figure out. Parang fabric swatches na may typewritten text under each swatch. It was labelled as a "laptop case" when I got it, but it has no real pads lol but I didn't care.

And YES, I once tried walking around nyc in that bag. Ang hirap talaga ng walang handle!!! Hahaha!

January 1st, 2011 at 10:30 pm

BJ: It actually is a laptop bag, and I'm using it as a portfolio. It's a little too roomy for my laptop anyway. Right? It's hard to carry. It's best for occasions when you're in the mindset of making sacrifices for style, like fashion week! I want to see your portfolio/laptop bag!!

• Chip
    January 2nd, 2011 at 1:08 am

werk

• Taj
    January 6th, 2011 at 9:52 am

LOVE IT!!!! OMG I've been trying to find a portflio for the longest!!(I'm probz still gonna be looking bcuz I doubt that I have enough money for this Paul Smith beauty)

*u were the best dressed in that streetstyle photo #jussayin

• Metal Carrying Cases
    May 19th, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Didn't see price tag? how much is that laptop bag on sale?