January 15, 2011

Outlet Shopping, Hong Kong Style!

There exists a place on earth where everyday is a sample sale and the place goes by the name of Ap Lei Chau. Ap Lei Chau (literally: duck-tongue island) is an area on the island side of Hong Kong still not directly accessible by subway train, hence, taking a trip there is a short, yet sufficiently taxing pilgrimage. But a pilgrimage of fashion finds not of this earth—here you’ll find outlet stores stacked so high they scrape the heavens, filled not with the usual Polo Sport outlet duds of American suburbia, but limited-edition runway pieces from the Belgians (Dries, Ann and Martin) and the Japanese (Rei and Takahiro), and a shrine to Prada with all the goodies deeply, deeply discounted.
I knew I was in for a journey, so I had to start the day right.
A bowl of udon and mushrooms in miso broth, the breakfast of champions, and of those who wish they were half-Japanese.
I gobbled up the noodles while soaking in the grandeur of the Peninsula Hong Kong‘s meticulously preserved 1920′s lobby architecture.
Then I took the MTR from Tsim Sha Tsui to Wan Chai,
the mad dash through the doors of Hong Kong’s incredibly efficient subways
and a 40-minute bus from Wan Chai to Ap Lei Chau.
Make sure you have coins or an Octopus card to pay for your fare!
The bus stops close to the Prada outlet, a humongous glossy boutique filled with both classics and past-season items by Prada and Prada group brands such as Miu Miu and Church’s, all heavily discounted. Never has outlet shopping been more pleasant and worth the trek.
Hong Kong’s “Space” Prada outlet, nearly twice the size of that at Woodbury Commons in New York (photo via The Fash Pack)
I then took a cab to Horizon Plaza, a high-rise in the area filled with outlet shops for fashion, home, and baby things too.
top picks for me would be the outlet stores of Hong Kong’s best department stores: Joyce, Lane Crawford, and I.T.
And for the loot. Another pair of Number (N)ine shoes to add to my collection of pieces by the defunct label, all acquired posthumously:
Number (N)ine x Charles Peterson “Touch Me I’m Sick” jazz shoes
I was completely happy with my purchase thinking that I had scored a pair of Number (N)ines in printed canvas. When I read the label and learned that they were in fact made out of a specially made wool jacquard and trimmed in silk, any traces of cognitive dissonance dissolved into thin air.
the buttonhole silk-and-leather pull tabs and the textured photo-print jacquard
Charles Peterson is an American photographer known for his prints depicting the rise of the independent music scene in and around Seattle.
And a Prada nylon toiletry bag that I just had to have owing to a slew of very valid reasons:
Prada toiletry bag in tessuto with saffiano leather trim
because
(1) I’m Asian, (2) I carry around lots of toiletries, and (3) I like Prada.
Space Warehouse (Prada Outlet)
2/F, South Horizons Plaza (East Wing)
Ap Lei Chau
Hong Kong
Tel: +852 2814 9576
How to get there: Take the MTR to Admiralty. Then take the bus 590A or M590 from the Admiralty station and get off at South Horizons.
Horizon Plaza (I.T. outlet – 5th floor, Joyce Warehouse – 21st floor, Lane Crawford outlet – 25th floor)
2 Lee Wing Street
Ap Lei Chau
Hong Kong
How to get there: From the South Horizons bus stop, take a taxi to Horizon Plaza.

• Susie
    January 15th, 2011 at 4:34 pm

those shoes are fantastic, that adventure looks like a lot of fun, but mostly i'm really jealous of that breakfast. it looks so good right now… i may have to go out for noodle soup.

• Chip
    January 15th, 2011 at 7:35 pm

those shoesssssssssssssss

arrrrrooooogaa

• Brandon Acton-Bond
    January 15th, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Told ya so! Good report. Wish I could have come. Wait till you see my Paris report!

• Noelle Chantal
    January 16th, 2011 at 4:17 am

Hi, Izzy! It was so great to see you last night! I really enjoyed the mini chit chat. You're so nice and stylish as ever. Good thing we saw each other, finally! Hehe. You know you are one of my fave fashion blogger.

By the way, love the pants you wore and the shoes with side zippers, amazing! Looks like you had so much fun shopping at HK, love the new buys especially that jazz shoes with very unusual print. Will def check that place when I go to HK on Feb. Thanks for the info. :)

Oh, you're leaving na pala next week noh. You take care and have a safe trip Izzy! :)

• joy
    January 16th, 2011 at 11:13 am

You did damage! And I see you went with advice from Brandon, im glad! He knows his stuff.

• D R E W
    January 16th, 2011 at 5:00 pm

i have two traditional black prada bags that i love. i've had them for years and they've held up so well.

January 16th, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Brandon and Joy: If Brandon must scroll back on his Facebook wall, he ought to discover that Ap Lei Chau was a place I suggested that he visit during his Hong Kong trip a few months ago.. And I can't wait to see the Paris report!

• Brandon Acton-Bond
    January 16th, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I thought I read about it somewhere else… Well wouldn't be surprised if you had told me eitherway deff glad you went.

• Giancinephile
    January 16th, 2011 at 10:00 pm

And so you finally got that toiletries case! haha

And I'll put outlet shopping on my itinerary when I do Hong Kong! :)

• Angy
    January 16th, 2011 at 11:24 pm

oh, the shoes are amazing! want them so much!

I will follow you, please follow me back ;)

• Style Salvage Steve
    January 18th, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Ah that place is always amazing! I love the shoes, what a find!

• miranda
    April 19th, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Love the Shoes! If you don't mind me asking, how much were they?

-M-

• miranda
    April 19th, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Sorry if this is a second comment, not sure it the other went through… Your shoes seem to be a terrific find! If you don't mind me asking how much were they?

-M-

April 20th, 2011 at 12:08 am

Hi Miranda–can't remember exactly but it was somewhere in the vicinity of USD 200.

• Leicester cookers
    September 27th, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Wow, Fantastic Blog, it’s so helpful to me, and your blog is very good,
    I’ve learned a lot from your blog here, Keep on going, my friend, I will keep an eye on it,

• tailors in Hong Kong
    November 17th, 2012 at 6:36 am

I love your shoes seriously.

• Litzie
    April 7th, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Hi. I just want to know what know the directions in going there. We will be staying along Nathan Road so upon MTR from TST, alight at Wan Chai station right? Which bus no. to take to Ap Lei Chau? Thanks so much in advance. Google is taking me to many stops, I find your directions easier. Thank you!!!

April 16th, 2013 at 11:16 am

Hi Litzie,

Apologies for the late response, and unfortunately, I don’t know the buses very well. I just take a taxi from Wan Chai to Ap Lei Chau, it isn’t all that much and it saves you so much trouble! Hope this helps.

Izzy