March 17, 2011

Fauxvenchy

Today, I join the hordes of fadsters who have bought into the leopard print trend. I stumbled upon the perfect leopard print fabric at a shop in Manila—a shirting cotton with just that little hint of stretch for give, in leopard of the perfect hue, with trompe l’oeil hairs—and immediately had it tailored into a long-sleeved button-down shirt.
tailor-made leopard print shirt, star necklace from a shop in Hong Kong, zipper necklace by Marc Jacobs, jacket from Topman
I am absolutely allergic to the word “trend”, and though the faunal spots are now omnipresent in fashion publications online, in print and everywhere in between, I just couldn’t help but purchase the fabric and make a top out of it—but I’ve taken measures to keep it my own. I wanted a touch of velvet for that bold luxuriousness. I thought to do the collar in a rounded, club-collar style as a nod to the English dandy, and to keep the shirt from being too overtly fierce. I was, after all, wearing the spots of a wild animal.
Number (N)ine sunglasses, Topman jacket, tailor-made leopard print shirt, Ann Demeulemeester belt, H&M jeans, Number (N)ine flat creepers
Though the shirt and the star necklace are clear cheap knockoffs of Givenchy, or more succinctly, Fauxvenchy¹, I did try to infuse that luxe-weathered-eccentric aesthetic that I commonly associate with myself nowadays.
belt by Ann Demeulemeester. I thought white would be a slightly off, unexpected touch, and I thought the whipstitching echoed that savageness on top.
my Number (N)ine suede flat creepers now weathered and balded and stained: all signs of being very much loved.
Have any of you guys bought into the animal-print craze? A shirt, scarf, shoes, shower curtain? Do share!

¹Acton-Bond, 2010
photos via Pop Bop and Snap

• MuseMono
    March 17th, 2011 at 2:36 am

Wow that's really one piece of fierce fabulous shirt. I love how you style it too. I'm so glad that you believe in tailoring too, not just buying off the shelves. Congrats.

• my.amalgam
    March 17th, 2011 at 3:57 am

these photos are insane.

as well as the shoes.

• Michele
    March 17th, 2011 at 4:45 am

I really love this! And 'Fauxvenchy' that's hilarious, reminds me of 'Fauxdarte'! The shirt looks so amazing and I love the belt.

March 17th, 2011 at 8:16 am

I've never really liked the animal print trend but you definitely pull it off! I think the key is moderation and choosing a print that doesn't rape the eyeballs.

• The Shady Chronicles of P and D
    March 17th, 2011 at 10:54 am

Nice! That velvet club collar is the perfect, clever touch.

• Organic Pirate
    March 17th, 2011 at 11:14 am

Love the shirt!! and the zipper necklace is super cute. I have the Jeremy Scott Leopard print tracksuit, so indulge everyonce in a while! ;-)

• Brandon
    March 17th, 2011 at 11:46 am

This is what Givenchy does to us! We wouldn't buy the real deal on the basis of fadster principles, but when presented with a cheaper Fauvenchy option, why not give it a go? Leopard is a really difficult print because most of the time the average print looks cheap and tacky. You found a realistic and luxe looking fabric so well done! I am the same about wearing leopard too but if I had the option as you did I would try it out for sure. How else do you know if you like it?

• Isabel
    March 17th, 2011 at 1:21 pm

OMG amazing!! This is my favourite outfit of yours ever!

• Andrew
    March 17th, 2011 at 10:13 pm

totallllly digging it

I got myself a pair of snake skin shorts over the winter and I can't wait to wear a fauxvenchy outfit with them. Trying to find a snake skin shirt to pair with it haha

You're rocking this hard though. One of my favorites of yours, too.

• Riley Hart
    March 19th, 2011 at 2:43 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE THE zipper necklace…very much enjoying your blog beebs :)

rileyhartt.blogspot.com

• CUP OF COUPLE
    March 21st, 2011 at 8:20 pm

love the shoes!!

great blog, following you
    x

• Giancinephile
    March 24th, 2011 at 5:02 am

I sooooooooooo love the leopard shirt! haha

April 1st, 2011 at 12:38 pm

where did you buy the fabric???