June 2, 2011

The Ill-fitting Mao Jacket

I purchased this Mao jacket last winter, vintage from Japan, despite it being rather ill-fitting: about an inch and a fourth too big on each shoulder, and the sleeves too short for my long, yoga-binding arms. I never had the chance to have it altered to fit properly, so it sat in my wardrobe for a long while. A few days ago, I decided to give it a second chance; and I was pleased at how such an ill-fitting jacket could fit so well.
vintage Mao jacket from Japan, vintage astronaut pin on right sleeve, H&M jeans, Dr. Martens oxfords
The fabric drapes excellently; and though I know a little nip and tuck on the shoulders and sleeves would help make the jacket even more impeccable, quality fabric molds to the body and hides a multitude of fit errors.
Pins weren’t made for lapels and left breasts only. (vintage silver astronaut pin with moonstone head)
my white-soled Dr. Martens 1461 oxfords, getting creasy and greasy with wear
a permanent fixture on my left pinky as of late: the rose gold and brown diamond signet ring I co-designed
an undersized umbrella helping keep an oversized jacket dry
Hello from the Financial District.
photographs by Mikee Tuason

• Dandy Man
    June 2nd, 2011 at 3:47 pm

It is, one cool jacket. Nice one for giving it an extra chance! I too have sported pins on sleeves of late and am constantly wearing an Antique George V pinky ring. Always makes me think of Prince Charles, probably the most famous wearer of one. Nice post!

• Mat
    June 2nd, 2011 at 5:44 pm

the jacket looks so good, don't get it altered! the docs are looking so good too, ive never seen them ones in that colour combo before

• Michele
    June 2nd, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I think this is my favourite outfit of yours. I am obsessed with Mao jackets. And I love the pin and the brogues!

• CUP OF COUPLE
    June 2nd, 2011 at 6:36 pm

love your style! :D

great shoes!

G

• David Toms
    June 2nd, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I actually think it works quite well the way it is! The little pin on the cuff is a little surprise!

• Little Nutbrown Hare
    June 2nd, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Authentic China fit I say!

• Giancinephile
    June 2nd, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Nice and playful on your behalf, Izzy!

• Claire M.
    June 3rd, 2011 at 2:06 am

I love your jacket its so nice. I wish I can find Mao jacket here in my place ;)

• Style Salvage Steve
    June 3rd, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Just lovely. Though…don't stand so close to the tracks!

• Brandon
    June 4th, 2011 at 5:38 pm

OK I'm officially requesting a little tumblr account for that ring. You + that ring + tumblr + time = fun little youtube video of said ring getting tarnished and fucked the fuck up! :D

PS: I was thisssss close to getting some shit at pearl river mart too but realized I had no space anyway…

• Six Six Sick
    June 5th, 2011 at 11:16 pm

The jacket looks like it fits perfectly. Want to use those long yoga-binding arms to do some actual yoga this week?
    xx
    Tiffany

• Victoria
    June 7th, 2011 at 8:13 am

you look like your on your way to work at the Mandarin Oriental Housekeeping Department. I am Asian too and I believe I try to avoid any Traditional pieces as it will look like a strereotype. You look amazing in Western style clothing. You might find my comments offensive but I tell the truth and do not lie to people I care about.

June 7th, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Victoria must have work there to know about their outfit. I love that outfit and you have the confidence to pull it off :-)

- Noel

• marina
    January 29th, 2013 at 11:20 am

love the pinky ring! is it on sale anywhere?