July 30, 2012

Drop-crotch

I’ve long resisted wearing drop-crotch pants, let alone trying them on.  There is a stigma in this style of trousers—the saggy diaper look—that puts off even the most experimental of fashion plates.  I have once been quoted saying that drop-crotch pants were asexual, in the way they obscured the hip and groin area, the region of the body that is the quickest signifier of one’s gender.  Much as I respect those who make a conscious choice to don gender-unspecific clothing, I just wasn’t about ready for sexless style.  One day, with a little prodding from a friend, I tried on these drop-crotch trousers by Damir Doma: supple, with good drape, and, dare I say, sexy.  Oh how they romanced a bored and weary fashion heart.  I went drop and I don’t know if I could ever stop.

Number (N)ine sunglasses, chiffon shirt of my own design, Damir Doma drop-crotch pants, mary jane kung-fu shoes from Chinatown

There is something frightfully freeing in wearing big shirts with roomy bottoms. "Don't you grow into your oversized clothes," says the little troll in my head.

The genius of these Damir Doma drop-crotch pants is in the construction: a large soft pleat runs down each leg, under which the front pockets are concealed. The drop is gentle; mid-thigh and it curves instead of going straight across. Button tabs on the back of the waistband give one the choice of wearing them abbreviated, as shown, or ankle-length.

a nail wrapped around my thumb, and a nail covered in rust

These mary jane kung-fu shoes, purchased upon the encouragement of my dear friend Brandon, raise even my own eyebrows, but cradle my feet.

For further reading, check out “Come as You Are“, a piece on drop-crotch pants written by my friend Alex Jung for The Morning News.

• christian
    July 30th, 2012 at 2:14 pm

that shirt looks stunning on you!
    wauw!

• michele
    July 30th, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I have to say these look great on you. I’m not much of a drop crotch fan myself, mostly because they look so cute on short people, but awkward on me. I’ve officially given up on them. Also, in LOVE with those ‘kung-fu mary janes’ !!

• ABB
    July 31st, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Awesome look! The Chinese Kug Fu shoes look super on a guy.

• Patrick Wilson
    July 31st, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I have long been wanting to try wearing drop crotch pants and this post just might finally convince me. Amazing!

• wcgut
    August 1st, 2012 at 10:28 am

to-do-list for to-mor-row:
    get a pair of drop crotch pants, and many many mary janes

• mat
    August 2nd, 2012 at 2:46 pm

really like this look on you. i’m not a fan of them either but because they don’t taper so much on the legs they seem to create a better shape

• Brian Davis
    August 18th, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Great outfit. I love the entire look. The capri pants look for guys is awesome. Your friend Brandon has great taste in shoes. I still remember way back in high school all the girls wore those mary janes (as well as a few of us “guys”) I have a similar looks http://www.flickr.com/photos/39715038@N00/6075930809/in/photostream

Thanks for sharing