October 15, 2012

The Rolex

There isn’t a watch more comfortable or more versatile for me than the Rolex.  I had once taken a short break from wearing mine, for the sheer ubiquity of the watch in Asia—I got my first steel Datejust as a gift from my grandfather in first grade—but now I find myself fascinated at how the seemingly anti-design, anti-fashion watch is now quite fashionable.  To many a man who come to me asking for recommendations for their first nice watch, I’d say get a classically masculine steel Rolex.

A recent addition to my watch family: the 50th Anniversary Edition Rolex Submariner, featuring the limited-edition green ceramic bezel. Worn with a Missoni sweater and 3.1 Phillip Lim shorts.

I still get the most use out of the black-faced, jubilee bracelet steel Datejust that I had since I was a child. It’s a blank canvas watch that works with the busiest of outfits. Worn with a Prada shirt, Topman shorts, and a vintage yellow rhinestone ring.

There is something so handsome about the strong, sporty bezel and bracelet and the bright silver dial on the Yachtmaster. I like it best worn with lots of silver and clothes of an Ecclesiastical persuasion. Worn with a top and pants by Damir Doma, rings by Martin Margiela and Langoliers.

A steel-and-gold Rolex with a diamond bezel may be a bit naff, but I think it could be quite charming worn with a bit of irony. Worn with a Kenzo x New Era cap and an American Apparel t-shirt.

Few things feel richer than a heavy hunk of pure solid gold on your wrist. For now, this will have to remain on loan from my father, to whom I had to return the watch after photographing it. Worn with a Damir Doma jacket and an RRL shirt.

• Duck
    October 15th, 2012 at 6:23 am

Can you believe I am 26 and I still don’t wear a watch? I find the constant weight around my wrist terribly annoying and I always end up taking it off as soon as I sit down or try to do something practical like typing… My Dad does wear a gold faced Cartier which I like but I think I’d only ever wear a leather strap.

October 15th, 2012 at 7:59 am

I do find that hard to believe! How do you wear jewelry? And fashion?

• Patrick Wilson
    October 15th, 2012 at 10:17 am

Amazing collection!!!

• Kashara of Undiscovered Worth
    October 15th, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I love it when guys where watches. Not many do anymore I guess since everything is so digital. :) I honestly wish men dressed more like the ones on you feature on your site. The style is wonderfully unique. xx

• nz fashion week
    October 16th, 2012 at 3:06 am

Amazing models of watches to see here. They’re really the wonders of beauty. Lovely watches of ROLEX for people to have.

• mat
    October 18th, 2012 at 5:56 pm

i’m no expert in the expensive watch field, though i do have about 10 watches. you bust my thought that they’re just for swanky business types

• Duck
    October 20th, 2012 at 7:35 am

I take all my jewellery off when I’m working too. I always have a pile of junk next to my laptop. Then I put it back on again to go out. But I don’t wear jewellery every day, and an ever-day watch would drive me mad. I don’t really find any of my other clothes restrictive or irritating in that sense.

October 20th, 2012 at 8:56 am

Same. I take off all of my costume rings when I work, it’s my diamond signet ring that stays.