January 7, 2013

Lip Tint

I wear lip tint.  When done subtly, it’s a great way of looking more healthy and vital, as if I work out regularly and eat right all the time.  It does wonders at balancing out colors in an outfit: I like having my lips look ever so slightly more vivid as a pop of color in an all-black look, or to avoid looking washed out in the rare occasion I wear color.  Our resident moustachioed model, menswear designer Mike Shaeffer, returns for another series of my DIY men’s beauty tutorials.

Bare, unconditioned lips can tend to look dead, especially when wind-burned in the winter.

I like to use Benefit’s Benetint for color, and Kiehl’s lip balm #1 for conditioning. Fun fact: Benetint was created for an exotic dancer in the 70′s, allegedly, to make her nipples look rosier. A subtly tinted lip balm could work just as well. Screw the rules of matching warm skin tones with cool colors, and vice-versa. Try on what you see, and if it feels good, then wear it.

I layer the lip tint several times in the inner portion of the lower lip, then I dab it on the inner portion of the upper lip. The idea is to look like you’ve been sucking on a berry, and not like a boy who’d become great at evenly applying his mother’s lipstick all over his lips.

Apply a light amount of clear lip balm all over, to condition, and always blot on a tissue.

Lips, alive and tinted.

Would you rock tinted lips?

• Patrick Wilson
    January 7th, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Works like magic!

• Miguel Santiago
    January 8th, 2013 at 12:09 am

I do this, too.

An alternative for the masses (and an old favorite) is Born Lippy

Its slight pink tint works for men who just want a touch of color without being questioned – “are you wearing lipstick?”

• Domenic Bartlett-Roylance
    January 8th, 2013 at 3:51 am

I didn’t know this was a thing!

That is why these personal trainers have super pink sexy lips!!

• Giuliano
    January 8th, 2013 at 4:56 am

now I know what u meant! I’m so up for this!….always wanted to have them Macaulay Culkin lips! (the Home Alone pre-heroin ones that is…)

• Danny
    January 8th, 2013 at 8:32 am

This tint actually works!

• Duck
    January 12th, 2013 at 11:49 am

I’ve never really been into make-up on a day-to-day basis, apart from a bit of Touche Eclat under my eyes when tired, but I am tempted by this… It does look very natural but I suspect it needs a lot of practice to get it right!

January 13th, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Duck: No, this is really easy! Pick a shade not too far from your lip color, and you’ll be fine.

• mat
    January 17th, 2013 at 11:55 am

i’ve never even heard of this! that’s some beard coverage, so jealous on both fronts