February 21, 2013

BJ Pascual

BJ Pascual was my first fashion friend.  We would turn up at Philippine Fashion Week in high, high hair and outfits freshly cut-up and DIYed in the car, and collaborate on experimental photoshoots, the outcomes of which shall never be released.  He is now the Philippines’ top photographer, having shot every cover and billboard and every major campaign in the country.  BJ’s style has mellowed through the years, now favoring well-worn comfort and muddy hues and subtle luxury over tight, ferocious theatrics—a mood akin to what I feel about men’s style today.  I paid a visit to his photo studio in Manila, and took some portraits of this young photographer I so respect and admire.

BJ Pascual in an Eairth sweater, Maison Martin Margiela trousers and sneakers

detail on the Eairth sweater and BJ’s no-shower curls

Margiela shoes against a Margielic wall of frames, by Cheska Nolasco

sitting in his cyclorama in an asymmetrical sweater by Zara, shorts by ÅLand (Korea), and Alexander McQueen for Puma shoes

Puma x Alexander McQueen high-tops with gill-like detailing

dressed up in the dressing room: shrunken blazer by Ziggy Savella, double-collar shirt by Jerome Lorico, Margiela trousers, Dries Van Noten shoes

Dries Van Noten canvas and leather lace-up shoes

I find this worn floral shirt (by French men’s high-street brand Celio) to be reminiscent of Comme des Garcons Fall 2012. Levi’s pants and Alexander McQueen shoes

McQueen slippers and mismatched socks

• Luiz
    February 21st, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I love your blog!! I love to be inspired for your pictures and fresh news. It is very special how you blend mainstream and alternative fashion!!

• amo
    February 21st, 2013 at 3:54 pm

very nice pics
    great the floral shirt

miblogbyamo.blogspot.com

• Patrick Wilson
    February 21st, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Nice one!

• Danny
    February 22nd, 2013 at 10:08 am

Very nice photos!

• Duck
    February 22nd, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Why no accessories credits? There’s an interesting looking bracelet there…

I’m really loving the floral shirt, I keep seeing ones I like right now. If I see one I like I’m going to take it as a sign.

P.S. Why do Filipinos never seem to age?? Amazing genetics.

February 22nd, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Duck: The bracelet is Giles and Brother! What floral shirts are you looking at? And thanks XD

• Duck
    February 23rd, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Ahhhh I thought it might be, I have the matching ring. There’s a floral t-shirt by Supreme (I know, but it’s nice) and I’ve seen some old Comme ones. I need to find the perfect one though… ALL the Filipino people I know my age-ish still get asked for ID whenever we try to buy alcohol. It’s ridiculous. Nobody ever asks me for ID :(

• Mensu
    April 3rd, 2013 at 5:08 am

Just found your blog. I really love the shoes. Great pics.